thoughts on the Mariners, MLB draft, and more homelinksdraftabout me

Life After Niehaus

Niehaus and Rizzs
The 2011 season isn't too far away, mostly for better, but a little for worse. There is going to be a point where I wonder why I haven't heard Dave Niehaus belt out a "Fly, Fly Away!" If the M's are as punchless as last year, it might take a while for me to notice, but I'll notice.

What exactly are the Mariners going to do with the seat Niehaus vacated a little too soon for any of our tastes?

Greg Johns caught up with Randy Adamack, the M's VP of communications, and apparently the right guy to talk to for answers about Dave's successor. John's article can be found here.

I won't summarize the article here; it would defeat the purpose of the link. We will find out what the M's do pretty shortly from the sounds of it though.

What should they do?

If it were up to me, I would make Rick Rizzs the lead play-by-play guy, which would mean having him call the majority of television broadcasts. He has been here a long time, and understands what Niehaus meant to the Mariners and the community. Plus, he is a pretty good broadcaster. Maybe a little too chipper and energetic from time to time, but I find it lovable. In fact, his upbeat demeanor might mesh rather well with the more tranquil approach of Mike Blowers.

Rizzs and Blowers, for me, is the right mix to follow Niehaus. I would love to hear what others think though. If you were Randy Adamack, who would you ask to follow Dave?

1 comment:

  1. No clue. I doubt that they know either, honestly. Of course, I'm not familiar with announcer hiring processes or where they'd go about looking honestly.

    The article hints they may be just rotating the current staff, which seems like the right thing to do this year. If anyone deserves to have a year where their spot is sort of vacated until the absolute right person is found, it's Niehaus.

    Of course, replacing Dave Sims, that's a totally different story and should be the focus I think.

    Rizz and Blowers is a solid team though. Nothing to really complain about there. We were spoiled on Niehaus.

    ReplyDelete